It happened!!! I finally found the perfect recipe and technique to obtain an açaí bowl base just like I love it: thick, tasty and dairy free.
I discovered the infamous açaí bowl last year in London, after having heard and seen about it from about 10930893 people haha. – Is it also like this that you discovered it?
I would therefore consider myself an açaí newbie, but let me tell you that it didn’t take me long to figure out the way I love eating it: thick, creamy, not too cold and tasty.
Luckily, after many tries, I eventually found out how to obtain a delicious thick base. The secret lies in the ingredients and way to make it. Check below!
What you’ll need (1 portion)
Ingredients for the base
- 100g frozen unsweetened açaí puree
- 50g frozen berry mix
- 60g frozen banana
- 15ml unsweetened almond milk
- 10g smooth peanut butter
- 15g maple syrup
Ingredients for the toppings
- 20g granola
- 1/2 banana
- 30g blueberries
- 20g raspberries
- 3 strawberries
- chia seeds
- coconut flakes
- almond butter
How to make it
- Take the açaí puree, frozen berry mix and banana out of the freezer
- Let them defrost for 7-10 minutes max, it should still be rather frozen
- During these 10 minutes, get all the toppings ready so that you can put them on top right after the base is mixed
- Put all the ingredients for the base in a blender
- Mix the whole until it’s smooth, yet still frosty and not liquid
- Poor in a bowl and add the toppings
- Eat before it melts 😉
A few tips
- I’ve never tried to use açaí powder, but if that’s what you have, I guess I’d just add 50g more frozen fruits (total of 100g) and, obviously, forget about the 100g of açaí puree.
- Don’t add the maple syrup if you use sweetened puree
- Put some granola at the bottom of your bowl so that the açaí doesn’t melt as quickly as if it was poured directly on the temperate bowl
- If the frozen ingredients have defrosted too much and the base ends up too liquid, put it back in the freezer for about 5 minutes once it’s mixed
- I told you the way I love my açaí, but you can obviously add any other topping you like
- Eat your açaí without mixing it with your spoon, just dip it in and take a scoop. You will appreciate the taste of it even more!
Bowl & Cutting board – IKEA
There you have it! To me, it’s the best way to eat an açaí bowl – as I already said, I like when the base is thick and not too liquid (I don’t know why, but I feel like it tastes better this way), and I also like it when there’s not too many berries on top. I indeed used to put a lot on, but I actually think it prevents from really tasting the açaí and enjoying its texture. We’re obviously all different, so feel free to adapt the recipe according to your tastes. 😉
Tell me if you try this recipe, I’d love to see your results.